5 Benefits of Sending Flowers:
Tuesday Jun 09, 2020 By: Samantha
It’s often tricky to decide on the perfect gift to give at an event or for an occasion. Of course, you could opt for the traditional bottle of wine, but then come the myriad of questions; “Which colour?”, “What kind”, and “Do they even drink wine?”. With such an array of tastes, it’s easy to become overwhelmed. Enter, the flower delivery, the perfect gift for every occasion. Here at Westmount Florist, we could spend all day listing the reasons flower deliveries are so amazing to give and receive, but we know you don’t have all day, so we’ve narrowed it down to five.
1) Studies prove that flowers positively affect how people perceive you
Everyone wants to make a good impression when they give a gift, don’t they? Our team at Westmount Florist was especially excited to hear about the results of a study carried out by psychologists at Rutger’s University. In the study, Jeannette Haviland-Jones, Ph.D., director of the university’s Human Emotions Lab, and her team of researchers explored what the gifts we choose say about us and how they affect the way others perceive us. The results of the research found that, “in comparison to other gifts, that those who send flowers are viewed as successful, caring and emotionally intelligent people.”
More specific findings include:
- Both men and women who give flowers are perceived as happy, achieving, strong, capable and courageous people;
- Men and women come across as more emotionally intelligent; they give the impression they can effectively express their feelings and take time to understand the feelings of others;
- Women who give flowers are viewed as more appreciative of beauty and nature.
“Our findings show that you can influence and change what people think of you in a significant way through the gifts you give,” says Haviland-Jones. “That news is particularly important to those interested in enhancing friendships and romances, even business relationships.”
2) Flowers can strengthen bonds
Sending a flower delivery is a great opportunity to strengthen a connection you share with another person. Flowers are that perfect spontaneous gift to send ‘just because’. They let the receiver know that you have been thinking of them or are grateful for the connection you share. Since flowers are often placed in focal points, your loved one will think of you every time they look at them, making them feel closer and more connected to you. Bonus points for sending a flower arrangement with specific flowers or colours that your significant other has told you they love. Attention to these details will let them know that you listen closely and are attentive to their likes and dislikes.
3) Flowers have been found to boost emotional health and relieve stress
(and, hey, who doesn’t need a bit more of that in 2020?)
If you have ever received a flower delivery, you know the sensation of being instantly flooded with happiness, gratitude and excitement at finding out who could be responsible for sending you such a beautiful gift. A 10-month study set out to investigate the effects that receiving a flower delivery can have on a personal emotional well being. Researchers explored the link between flowers and life satisfaction, by studying the participants behavioural and emotional responses to receiving flowers. The results demonstrated that flowers have extraordinary ability to boost feelings of positivity and overall emotional health. The main findings were:
- Flowers have an immediate impact on happiness. All study participants expressed "true" or "excited" smiles upon receiving flowers, demonstrating extraordinary delight and gratitude. This reaction was universal, occurring in all age groups.
- Flowers have a long-term positive effect on moods. Specifically,study participants reported feeling less depressed, anxious and agitated after receiving flowers, and demonstrated a higher sense of enjoyment and life satisfaction.
- Flowers make intimate connections. The presence of flowers led to increased contact with family and friends.
Harvard studied flowers too!
In a research experiment, psychologists at Harvard University studied the emotional effects of receiving a flower delivery and living in an environment with fresh flowers. The study found that even having fresh flowers in your home for less than a week had the transformative results of strengthening feelings of compassion and kindness and decreasing feelings of anxiety and worry.
“Other research has proven that flowers make people happy when they receive them,” Etcoff says.“What we didn’t know is that spending a few days with flowers in the home can affect a wide variety of feelings.”
- Participants who lived with fresh flowers for less than a week showed increased feelings of compassion and kindness towards others.
- Participants most often placed blooms in their kitchens or other focal areas of their homes. Frequent visual stimuli from fresh flowers resulted in participants feeling decreased negativity and reporting lower levels of anxiety and worry.
- Participants living with fresh flowers were more likely to feel happier and have more enthusiasm and energy at work when flowers were in their home living environments.
We all know someone who could use a little pick-me-up. Whether it’s a friend who is going through a break-up or a family member who is having a hard time with social distancing ( sighh, 2020), sending flowers is a powerful way to make a positive impact on their emotional health!
4 ) Flowers really make a show!
Sending a flower delivery is a great option for when you really want to make a show with your gift. Flowers always make a big impression when they arrive, filling a room with colour and fresh scent! The best part about sending a flower delivery is that your message is public; letting not only your recipient, but also their surrounding coworkers/family know that you care!
Opting for a flower delivery is especially effective in circumstances where you are unable to attend an event. A flower delivery showing up in your place will really make a splash and add beauty to any event. This gift is alive and demands attention! There is no doubt that guests will be asking the host, “Who sent these gorgeous flowers!”
5) Flowers can increase your work-from-home mojo
Over the past decade, scientists and mental health practitioners have been closely studying the relationship between humans and nature. Since the rise of industrialization in the mid-18th century, human beings have grown increasingly removed from the natural and organic environment. Scientists have found that incorporating more plants into our daily environment can boost health and increase productivity. An eight-month study carried out at Texas A&M University found that when plants and fresh flowers were added to a work environment, workers’ idea generation, creative performance and problem solving skills showed substantial improvements.
"Our research shows that a change as simple as adding flowers and plants can be important in the most meaningful way to businesses in the modern economy," said Dr. Roger Ulrich, lead researcher on the project. "People's productivity, in the form of innovation and creative problem solving, improved - which in certain circumstances could mean the difference between mild and great business success."
Work-from-home initiatives in Montreal and around the world for 2020 have displaced many people from their regular work environment. Help to create a grounded and productive work space by adding life to your home-office (ie: dining room table!) with fresh flowers or plants. Or help elevate someone else’s work space by sending them a flower delivery!